The Law Offices of Laura J. Farris
Toll Free 888-810-9402

You may be eligible for unpaid time off with a leave of absense

If you or a loved one are hurt, something you may be able to use to your benefit is the Family and Medical Leave Act. This act is designed to give you up to 12 weeks off work or up to 26 weeks off work with no pay depending on the situation.

If you have a baby, for example, you can take 12 weeks off within a one year period without pay in order to take care of your child. If you adopt or are a foster parent, you can do the same. This is so you can have the bonding time necessary during this change in your life.

If you, a spouse, a child, or a parent fall ill, taking time off work is acceptable as well. You can take up to 12 weeks off to care for your family when needed, as long as you are an eligible employee as designated under the FMLA.

One thing that stands out with the FMLA is the fact that you can take more time off if you're needing to take care of an injured family member who was part of the U.S. Military. Servicemembers' family members can take up to 26 weeks off work to help take care of them if they are injured. This is called military caregiver leave and is provided to most people who have servicemembers as spouses as designated by the FMLA.

If you have questions about the laws surrounding unpaid leave or want to see if your rights have been violated, our website may be able to help. We have more about this and other topics, so you can learn more there.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Get in Touch

Let’s Discuss Your Case

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.

The Law Offices of Laura J. Farris


Toll Free: 888-810-9402
CARLSBAD Law Office Map